Has it ever happened that you go to a backpacking trip with all kinds of equipment packed in your backpack? Getting a water thermos, sleeping bag, some food and a good backpack to put them all inside and start the trip. It is spring after all and a good opportunity to walk into the nature and discover some fun.
Beside all the above equipment, you might also need a flashlight, receiving radio set, watch, compass, map and some other tools. These instruments are really useful in trips. But the troubles just start here; insufficient backpack space and lifting these many objects for a long distance walking. These things may turn the sweetness of the trip into bitterness.
Well, not if we had a multi-tool all-in-one space saving gadget like the Swiss knife which has all the handy tools like: spoon, fork, can opener, etc. Swiss knife is really a cool stuff, but it does not have the entire necessary instruments we need in a trip, like flashlight, map, radio receiver, compass, etc. What could we do then? Should we deny taking all those necessary stuff with us? Or is there a workaround to this? Well actually there IS a workaround to this and there is a Swiss knife for those of kinds of things and that’s what we recommend to you:
An Android Gadget, with great Android Widgets and Apps
Android Gadgets, a Digital Swiss Knife For Trips
Android gadgets (smartphones and tablets), nowadays, have developed in a way which can fulfill lots of our requirements and needs and they are turned actually into handy tools. These tools come in handy especially in a backpacking trip. In the following you will see what an Android gadget could do for us in a long or short distance journey.
- Google Map: Map is what you will use a lot in trips. Now instead of taking a paper map, you can use your gadget’s Google Map to see not only a specific region map, but the whole world in details. You can use the Latitude or Direction feature in Google Map to easily find your friends or to find the best route to a specific point on the map along with amount of time required to get there by bus, bicycle, and car or even by foot.
- Compass: Compass is one of the earliest equipment to find the north magnetic pole and one of the oldest tools for navigations. Android comes with an internal compass which helps you find your destination easily. This way, using the Android’s compass, you will not have the problem of electromagnetic interference anymore. Most of Android gadgets today DO have compass, if yours doesn’t, you can use the Google Map’s inner compass to find the north magnetic pole. There are also some compass-based applications and widget for Android which is quite useful.
- Watch: Obviously watch is one of the important tools used everywhere. In trips, you can use it define the journey duration, rest time, appointment time with fellows, etc. Android clock widget will help you do all that stuff plus a few more. You can set alarms to wake up in the specific time or use the chronometer to measure the time more accurately.
- Flashlight: If you plan to stay for night in a trip, or to walk into creepy dark places, like caves, you will certainly need a flashlight. Using special Android applications and widgets, you can use the camera LED as a Flashlight tool and stay out of darkness! Besides, you can use the LED to call for a SOS in emergency cases. In SOS mode, the LED flash regularly turns on and off.
- Radio Set: A small receiving radio set helps you know weather conditions (for this case you may need a Weather Widget or App), natural events and local news. For example if a road is blocked due to landslides, you can get notified quickly via a radio. Today most phones have internal FM radio and Android gadgets are not exception. So you don’t need to carry a separate radio and a pair of batteries if you use an Android smartphone.
- MP3 Player: As mentioned for the Radio, you do not need to carry a separate MP3 Player with a set of hands free in trips if you have an Android gadget.
- Photographing: We all love to take some photos with those alligators in the river. No need to carry extra equipment and go heavy. Use your Android gadget to do so.
- Mosquito net: Android has something to say in this field too. If you plan to stay for night, you can use special Android applications to protect yourself against mosquitos and other insects, and thus against the diseases they may carry.